Track at St Andrews

Results, news, views and updates...it's all here!
Fife AC Admin
Site Admin

Track at St Andrews

Unread post by Fife AC Admin »

You may be aware that the University of St Andrews has indicated that they plan to remove the existing running track in St Andrews and replace it with more rugby and football facilities. This decision would mean the end of track athletics in NE Fife. The Club is very concerned about this decision and we are working with the University’s athletes, Scottish Athletics and the local running community to ask the University to reconsider. It would be very much appreciated if you could email the Principal of the University (principal@st-andrews.ac.uk) and politely express your disappointment. In addition, please sign the petition against the University’s decision to turn the track into more pitches: https://www.change.org/p/save-our-track.
jacob

Re: Track at St Andrews

Unread post by jacob »

Could someone with the memory remind us how the track was funded? I'm pretty sure significant external funding went into its building. I can't recall where from though.
Nigel Hetherington

Unread post by Nigel Hetherington »

I found this reference to the track on Tim Gross's excellent and well-researched 'running track directory'

http://www.runtrackdir.com/details.asp?track=standrews

'The track was opened in October 1996 and is part of a complex which includes 4 synthetic grass tennis courts and a synthetic grass hockey pitch. Funding for the whole complex came from the National Lottery, North East Fife District Sports Council, the R & A, the Foundation for Sport and the Arts and University benefactors. The track is coloured green - the only other 'green' track I know of is at Salisbury.'
Graham Bennison

Unread post by Graham Bennison »

Significant funding and planning came from NE Fife Council, the predecessor of Fife Council.
jacob

Unread post by jacob »

Thanks. That will be going in my email to the principal.
jacob

Unread post by jacob »

You might like to read the University's Social Responsibility strategy statements, including:

"Recognise that our day-to-day activities and plans for growth have a profound impact locally."

"Communicate promptly and transparently with our neighbours, stakeholders and partners, listen to ideas, and be willing to adapt where there is evidence that we can improve our proposals and practices"

"ensure wherever possible that the provision of services to students and staff has a wider positive impact on the broader population of St Andrews"

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/about/gove ... nsibility/
Hilary

Unread post by Hilary »

Message from Saints Sports Director -

thank you for getting in touch with the University expressing your concerns regarding the track closure.

A meeting has been arranged for Thursday 15th September at 6pm in the Scott Lang Suite, Saints Sport to which you are all invited to discuss this further.
jacob

Unread post by jacob »

Does the club committee have this meeting in hand? Or does it want to pack the meeting with every available member, brandishing pitchforks?
Fife AC Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Fife AC Admin »

The meeting venue has been moved to:

Purdie Lecture Theatre B
Purdie Building
University of St Andrews
North Haugh
St Andrews
KY16 9ST