Midweek Series #4 - Newburgh on Wed 17 July

Results, news, views and updates...it's all here!
Ken Morris

Midweek Series #4 - Newburgh on Wed 17 July

Unread post by Ken Morris »

After the euphoria of an epic 5 days of racing in 'le Tour' just a reminder that there are only two days respite for many runners until the fourth race of the Midweek Series at Newburgh on Wed 17 July starting at 7.30. This will be a 4 mile (approx) trail race , open to all genders and age groups over 15 years of age. Prizes on the night for first 3 finishers of senior men and women's race and for each category winner from Hill of Tarvit
Registration will be open from 6pm in the Newburgh Institution Hall. Entry fee is £3 (SA members / £5 (non SA members / £1 u20.

Contributions towards post race tea will be gratefully received.
Contact 07975855654 with any queries.
Last edited by Ken Morris on Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steviejoiner74

Re: Midweek Series #4 - Newburgh on Wed 17 July

Unread post by steviejoiner74 »

I find it strange that at 15 you can do the tour of Fife over 5 days that include tougher races than newburgh and can’t enter this unless you are 16.
Ken Morris

Unread post by Ken Morris »

Just testing! Original post amended. Should read over 15 for this race.
Ken
shedley

Unread post by shedley »

Presumably "over 15" means "15+"? I wondered about this anomaly, the same as StevieJoiner, since 10k is the maximum distance according to SA for 15 year olds to run either road or multi-terrain races (and I know Newburgh is traditionally 4.23miles so well within 10k). I would love to see Fife AC being more transparent about this, being more proactive in supporting our junior endurance athletes, and certainly including more information (including race distances and age restrictions) on all Fife AC Events listings at the time of publishing (when presumably distances, and hence age restrictions should be known). As parents, we don't know whether to mark these dates in our calendar or not!! Having been told in no uncertain terms last year not to race Balmullo (and other such events) again, then the paucity of information makes planning very difficult - especially not knowing whether we are sticking to SA guidance or some other criterion set by the club - in this case 16 years. I'm sure Anna would have liked the chance to run Newburgh if we'd have known in advance that she was in fact old enough - there are probably other 15 year olds in the same boat too.
Fife AC Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Fife AC Admin »

Fife AC races state the minimum age possible for each event – please go to the Club’s website, front page, Upcoming  – click on the race you’re interested in and you’ll generally see the minimum age allowed. Newburgh and Balmullo are both listed as 16 or over on the day of the race. This information has been available for several months  and info about forthcoming races will be posted shortly so hopefully that will help with planning races for juniors.