Devil's Burdens

Results, news, views and updates...it's all here!
Fife AC Admin
Site Admin

Devil's Burdens

Unread post by Fife AC Admin »

Details of Devil's Burdens 2013 now here. Note that the race will be run in the opposite direction from recent years, and that there are some key changes to (new) legs 2, 3 and 4. See below for some tips and advice.
Wendy

Re: Devil's Burdens

Unread post by Wendy »

Hi

Sunday slow running group have a request :i:

Will someone be posting new maps, with checkpoints and change overs?

Also on the new leg 1 just past the clearing after the horseshoe there is quite a bit of the path been washed away, still passable though!

Cheers

Wendy
TonyM

Unread post by TonyM »

Don't know if it's any use Wendy, but the entry form has the map details & co-ordinates of the run listed.

Cheers Tony :D
Silent Assassin-you never know when he's going to sneak up & take you from behind!
Brian R Smith

Unread post by Brian R Smith »

Am I correct in saying the finish of the new leg 2 will not be at Scotlandwell which was the old start of Leg 3 and has now been moved to a path above Kinesswood.

Not checked but is there any other changes to the check points on any of the other routes, as I am sure most people who have even noticed the reversal will think its just a reversal of the old routes and will be expecting the same check points as of old.

Cheers
Brian
Wendy

Unread post by Wendy »

[quote="TonyM"]Don't know if it's any use Wendy, but the entry form has the map details & co-ordinates of the run listed.

Did notice that Tony :o

Brian's points are what I was looking for clarification on! Couldn't think why we are running to White Craigs (checkpoint 7 186032) then back to Kinneswood!!

Cheers

Wendy
Brian R Smith

Unread post by Brian R Smith »

I have made a stab at making route map's of the Devils Burdens on Google maps and the links to each Leg are attached below.
Please note these are not official maps of the course
just my interpretation from the info given on the entry form regarding check point locations.
If I have made any mistakes regarding the route please let me know and I will alter the map to suit.

New Leg 1 Route
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&m ... 09e4fe950f

New Leg 2 Route
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&m ... 79ea5f3898

New Leg 3
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&m ... 2d108f4fc0

New Leg 4
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&m ... c9feaae9a0

Cheers
Brian :thumbup:
Last edited by Brian R Smith on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread post by Guest »

I am not clear about the way off East Lomond. The entry form says:

then descent to NNW to woods and stile Checkpoint 12:

NO 242068 then turn right and down path then track east through woods toward
Falkland bearing left at track junction NO 251068

This appears to be different from the old ascent route

Dave
Wendy

Unread post by Wendy »

Thanks Brian that's been a great help :thumbup:
Millzee

Unread post by Millzee »

A BIG thanks to you Brian for those links. Very helpful indeed.
You are spot on with your comment higher up! I have only just discovered, by chance, the changes, having assumed (as you noted yourself) that the race was 'merely' to be run in reverse. No changes currently mentioned on DB page!

Dave: Yes, route off East Lomond is quite different. You will need to recce it as there are lots of lines of East Lomond and some very rough terrain if you go wrong. Similarly the route has changed on leg 2/3 (as mentioned above).

Click on Brian's links and when you see the map, click on the 'SATELLITE' box at top right of map and it will display a very clear view of the race route which can be zoomed in very close.

Suggestion/Request to whoever organises the DB page on this site:
After the bit which says: "Note that the race will be run in the opposite direction from recent years." Why not also write something like " Note that there are changes to the routes - see entry form for details ('cos otherwise we ain't telling you)." Bracketed words optional.
Perhaps you could even suggest that team organisers visit this forum to look at Brians maps. This is not rocket science!
Ian
roger rees

Unread post by roger rees »

Many thanks Brian, Ian, etc.

We hope to iron out the glitches on the Webpage in the next day or two, but everyone please note that although the rules of the race require runners to visit all the checkpoints, they do not specify a particular route they must take in doing so. As Bob Dylan says, 'you go your way and I'll go mine'.

Roger