Devil's Burdens

Results, news, views and updates...it's all here!
TonyM

Re: Devil's Burdens

Unread post by TonyM »

Part of the 'fun' of hill running is finding your own route-as long as you hit the checkpoint! :thumbup:
Silent Assassin-you never know when he's going to sneak up & take you from behind!
aidy Mc Davis

Unread post by aidy Mc Davis »

Hi

The DB routes are correctly shown on the maps drawn by Brain Smith with all the new routes. However it would be useful to see these on an OS based 1:25,000 scale or 1:50,000 scale map as this will give you the best idea of route lines and gradients. For those people not familiar with maps I encourage you to reccy the route with a small group of more experienced runners. Legs 1 and 3 are run in reverse and apart from the new start point for leg 3 are exactly the same routes as before. Please note the routes on leg 2 and 4 have changed toward the end of each leg. Leg 2 continues to White Craigs and then descends to Kinnesswood (new changeover) and it is important you find the best line down to the gate for the start of this leg. NB this will also be busy on the day and there is not a lot of room for the changeover runners.
Leg 4 has changed on the descent from East Lomond, toward Falkland via the stile in a NNW direction from the summit and then along the path and track to the finish at the factory. This is a new descent line and you will have to carefully pick you're way down on this steep descent, watch out for the odd crag and rock.

Hope this helps.

Adrian
BillF

Unread post by BillF »

I'll see if I can do something on a OS background map over the weekend.

Walked along the track out from Falkland just before Christmas (Leg 1). As Wendy said, there's a section that's been washed away/carried away by a landslip. It was passable at the time though. If it hasn't deteriorated in the meantime it will require a bit of care & attention to negoitate safely, especially if running towards the back of a group of runners.

Anyone who ran Leg 2 or 4 at the UK Hill Relays will have a distinct advantage when it comes to picking the right line off East Lomond this year :h:

Bill
Chris

Unread post by Chris »

Hi
Ive noted the new changeover point at Kinnesswood and will be doing a recce run from there to Falkland on Sunday, I just wanted to enquire what was the best way to access the path behind Kinnesswood have checked Google maps and there doesn't appear to be an obvious (to me ) gateway
Cheers Chris
BillF

Unread post by BillF »

There's a car park in Buchan Avenue. From there, head up Bishop Terrace and there's a gate on the right that gives access to the hill.

Unread post by Guest »

Good Stuff thanks
Chris
BillF

Unread post by BillF »

Maps for all legs created and uploaded to http://www.flickr.com/photos/heatherbas ... 73/detail/.

Some words of explanation....
A solid red line shows the route where there's effectively no choice. Where is a degree of choice, i.e. on the open hill, the maps show the checkpints but not a route. Which line you take will likely depend on a combination of experience, local knowledge, fitness & that taken by the runner immediately ahead :h:
The grid references given on the entry form for the Leg 3-4 changeover seem to be inconsistent. That given for the end of leg 3 places the changeover close to the small car park at the end of the lane north of West Balgothrie, overlooking Holl Reservoir. The first grid reference in the Leg 4 description is for a point below and close to the northern end of the dam wall. I've compromised and put the change-over in its traditional location i.e. on the cross-roads SW of the Holl Reservoir.
Millzee

Unread post by Millzee »

Just to clarify a titchy part of Aidy's post:
"Legs 1 and 3 are run in reverse and apart from the new start point for leg 3 are exactly the same routes as before." - Leg 3: There is now a checkpoint on the summit of White Craigs (shared with leg 2), where there has not been one in recent years. The checkpoint that was at the top of the firebreak is no longer there. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) So... some subtle but important changes as well as the mentioned change to the changeover point. This is obvious from the maps, I know, but just re-iterating it so people know in advance they need to punch Whitecraigs and not look for a missing checkpoint at the firebreak!

'Thoroughly agree with Tony but knowing where the checkpoints are helps!
Us Haddies had a great morning out learning the new routes at Kinneswood in the snow yesterday. Can't wait as usual!

Unread post by Guest »

aidy Mc Davis wrote:Hi

The DB routes are correctly shown on the maps drawn by Brain Smith with all the new routes. However it would be useful to see these on an OS based 1:25,000 scale or 1:50,000 scale map as this will give you the best idea of route lines and gradients. For those people not familiar with maps I encourage you to reccy the route with a small group of more experienced runners. Legs 1 and 3 are run in reverse and apart from the new start point for leg 3 are exactly the same routes as before. Please note the routes on leg 2 and 4 have changed toward the end of each leg. Leg 2 continues to White Craigs and then descends to Kinnesswood (new changeover) and it is important you find the best line down to the gate for the start of this leg. NB this will also be busy on the day and there is not a lot of room for the changeover runners.
Leg 4 has changed on the descent from East Lomond, toward Falkland via the stile in a NNW direction from the summit and then along the path and track to the finish at the factory. This is a new descent line and you will have to carefully pick you're way down on this steep descent, watch out for the odd crag and rock.

Hope this helps.

Adrian
M Nixon

Unread post by M Nixon »

The first section of the new leg 4 as you leave the reservoir has had some serious forestry work, is very cut up, and also has a footpath diversion.