Men's teams for Devil's Burdens

Results, news, views and updates...it's all here!
Mike MacDonald

Men's teams for Devil's Burdens

Unread post by Mike MacDonald »

The new routes for the Devil's Burdens 2020 have been announced and they promise to give an even more exciting, and certainly more social, team experience than previous years.

Ian Hawkins has organised the mens teams in the last couple of years but is otherwise disposed this time around, so I thought I would get the ball rolling. I would imagine that many of you will already have started organising your own teams so this is more about picking up all of us that are left.

If you would like to join the fun on the 25th of January please post your name here along with your age category. I will also add names of anyone that contacts me directly. Other team captains organising their own teams might also wish to post their teams here so we can see what Fife AC mens teams are building for the race.

To whet your appetite, here's my summary of the new legs:
1) East Lomond: solo,10 km of relatively straightforward hilly trail running (plus a short climb over the top). A bit like going up and down the old ascent for leg 4 but with a little bit of route finding round the back of East Lomond to come back via the Purin Den car park.
2) West Lomond: pairs, 12 km and somewhat reminiscent of the Lomonds of Fife route. A super soggy ascent to Craigmead is followed by a long but firm slog to the top of West before a steep descent and quick run home through Falkland woods.
3) Maiden Castle:pairs,12 km again with more shades of the Lomonds of Fife race. This time an easier ascent via Maspie Den but some off track wandering to Maiden Castle, a bypass of West Lomond and some route choice before another quick run home.
4) The Monument: solo, a cross between trail running and orienteering. 10 km by the fastest route (by my reckoning). Choose your own route (and which direction) for collecting all the checkpoints.

Hopefully we'll get enough names to make up several teams so we should be able to match all ambitions. All legs require hill/trail shoes, some navigational ability and full body cover to be carried, but that shouldn't put you off what is always a welcoming and friendly event. I will post names below as they come in and teams as soon as they start to come together.

Cheers
Mike

Teams as follows:
Men's senior team:
Team name: Fife AC Gazelles
L1: Jonny Logan
L2: Olivier Penacchio, Nic Brew (capt.)
L3: Harvey Rankin, Simon Anetts
L4: James Barnet

Men's V40 team:
Team name: Fife AC Klipspringers
L1: Hendrik van Rensburg
L2: Jez Tomlinson, Calum Harvie
L3: Mike MacDonald (capt.), James Hall
L4: Paul Webb

Men's Open:
Team name: Fife AC Mountain Goats
L1: Andrew Gourley
L2: Stewart Dillon, Will Goad (capt.)
L3: Rick Booth, Stuart Macdonald
L4: Iain Gourley

Reserves:
Akira O'Connor (senior), Clive Roberts (V50)
Last edited by Mike MacDonald on Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Jhall

Re: Mens teams for Devil's Burdens

Unread post by Jhall »

James Hall M40, James Barnet MS, Simon Anetts MS so far mike
Jhall

Unread post by Jhall »

Harvey Rankin MS
Calum_Harvie

Unread post by Calum_Harvie »

Calum Harvie MV40 :)
jeztomlinson

Re: Men's teams for Devil's Burdens

Unread post by jeztomlinson »

Hi Mike, please consider me for any leg. Jez Tomlinson MV60
kirkcaldy1997

Unread post by kirkcaldy1997 »

Team GDI
Ryan Lafferty, Rory Scott, Ben Kinninmonth, Kevin Wallace, Kenny Gorman, Andrew Goring/Colin McWilliam
nicb

Unread post by nicb »

Hi Mike,
May I please join a MS team? No preference on leg.
Thanks!
Nic Brew
StewartDillon

Unread post by StewartDillon »

Stewart Dillon MV50 any leg
John Kay

Unread post by John Kay »

John Kay MV60
Mike MacDonald

Unread post by Mike MacDonald »

Some provisional men's teams for Devil's Burdens. As and when more names come in these are quite likely to change but by posting this now it will hopefully give team members the chance to recce their assigned legs, and motivate you to get your hill legs tuned up.

Men's senior team:
L1: Jonny Logan
L2: Olivier Penacchio, Nic Brew (capt.)
L3: Harvey Rankin, Simon Anetts
L4: James Barnet

Men's V40 team:
L1: Hendrik van Rensburg
L2: Jez Tomlinson, Calum Harvie
L3: Mike MacDonald (capt.), James Hall
L4: Paul Webb

Men's Open:
L1: Andrew Gourley
L2: Stewart Dillon, Will Goad (capt.)
L3: Rick Booth, Stuart Macdonald
L4: Iain Gourley

Reserves:
Akira O'Connor (senior), Clive Roberts (V50)

Experience has shown that having reserves is very helpful as diary clashes and injuries tend to crop up as we approach race day. Hopefully more names come in and we can get a third team for John Kay and Stewart Dillon plus Rick and Akira if they are not needed as reserves. Please keep the names coming in.

With the routes very different from previous years it is important that people do check their legs out in advance. I have been up for a couple of recces already and plan further ones on the 4th and 11th of January. I'll put up times for those nearer the date in case anyone wishes to come along too. My current plan is to do an L1/4 recce on the 4th with L2/3 being covered the following weekend.

Mike
Last edited by Mike MacDonald on Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:33 pm, edited 7 times in total.