Encouraging more juniors

Results, news, views and updates...it's all here!
shedley

Encouraging more juniors

Unread post by shedley »

(REPOSTING FROM PRIVATE FORUM)
I will not be at the AGM, nor am I a member of the club, but I would like to suggest that the blanket fee increase of £8 for membership be explained in more detail. In particular, the number of Fife AC races available to juniors is far fewer than those to adults, and this year, the Cupar training group had all its equipment (hoops, javelins, foam javelins, medicine balls, plastic markers, etc) removed without explanation. I do appreciate that the club pays for entry to some events. The club has a large reserve, and I would rather see more juniors being encouraged to join rather than potentially being put off by the increased fee. Note that there were no U11 girls in the recent XC at Stirling, so a year or two down the line, will we be able to even have girls' relay teams? Perhaps a "free" vest could be offered to juniors on joining, to encourage participation in events, or perhaps the existing fee could at least be retained for U11s who have even more limited opportunities than U13s upwards? Thanks.
Sandilands

Re: Encouraging more juniors

Unread post by Sandilands »

Thanks for posting this. I will copy this and circulate to the Board in advance of the AGM meeting.
:D
shedley

Re: Encouraging more juniors

Unread post by shedley »

Thanks Claire. I'm not sure whether I'm the only one concerned about this, or even what the appropriate forum is to raise any issues or make suggestions. It just seems to be a bit of a closed shop, though there might well be lots going on behind the scenes to make it easier for parents that we're simply not aware of yet. I note even an experienced parent like Lynne Bennet had to ask what was happening at the relays tomorrow, so it must be really hard for newbies. Hopefully further information will come to light at the AGM, or maybe some discussion would be allowed, and Fife AC can be seen to be doing all it can to promote junior participation in the sport.