Nightmare #4 Results. Beat of Balbirnie.

Results, news, views and updates...it's all here!
Graham Bennison

Nightmare #4 Results. Beat of Balbirnie.

Unread post by Graham Bennison »

The Beast of Balbirnie Nightmare course served up a fierce test of concentration and navigation along twisting monster woodland trails at Markinch.
Dundee Hawkhill veteran Craig Love led over the opening lap of 1.8 miles before veering wildly off course along the second final circuit. Chris Russell (Fife AC) on home territory, took advantage to come through into pole position completing the 3.8 miles in 22 minutes 35 seconds with Ian McNulty (Dundee Hawkhill) the runner-up twenty-seven seconds adrift. Over 50 veteran John Kay (Fife AC) claimed third spot ahead of Love in fourth.
Female series leader Jane Dunlop (Dundee Road Runners) placed 14th overall first female with Catherine Matthews (Dundee Hawkhill) following in 15th.
Results: 1 C Russell (Fife AC) 1st veteran. 22.35, 2 I McNulty (Dundee Hawkhill) 2nd veteran. 23.50, 3 J Kay (Fife AC) 1st over 50. 24.17, 4 C Love (Dundee Hawkhill) 3rd veteran. 24.43, 5 C Harvie (Fife AC) 25.00, 6 S Peters (Dundee Road Runners) 25.52, 7 K Anthony (Fife AC) 2nd over 50. 26.05, 8 B R Smith (Fife AC) 3rd over 50. 26.58, 9 D Cowan (Fife AC) 27.15, 10 J Mill (Dundee RR) 27.45, 11 P Mallett (Lomond HR) 27.56, 12 G Timmins (Dundee RR) 28.00, 13 B Simpson (Anster Haddies) 28.03, 14 Jane Dunlop (Dundee RR0 28.19, 15 Catherine Matthews (Dundee Hawkhill) 29.35, 16 Monica Padilla (Dundee RR) 30.00, 17 J O'Donnell (Unatt.) 30.26, 18 J Keenlyside (Fife AC) 1st over 60. 32.31, 19 J Gourley (Unatt.) 33.36, 20 B Thornton (Fife AC) 34.32, 21 E Petrie (Unatt.) 34.50, 22 S Davidson (Fife AC) 35.15, 23 P Hetherington (Jog Sxcotland) 35.40, 24 E Nachman (Jog Scotland) 36.20, 25 Dawn Busby (Jog Scotland) 37.48, 26 I Shield (Anster Haddies0 39.05, 27 G bennison (Fife AC) 40.27, 28 Gillian Cramoodie (Jog Scotland) 41.45, 29 Sarah Ives (Jog Scotland) 44.55, 30 Ceclia (Ffrench (Jog Scotland) 45.05, 31 K Matthews (Unatt.) 1st junior. 45.30. 32 Garce Matthews 9Unat.) 1st female junir. 46.08, 33 S Matthews (Dundee Hawkhill) 46.10.
Leading Women. 1 J Dunlop (Dundee RR) 28.19, 2 C Matthews (Dundee Hawkhill) 29.35, 3 M Padilla (Dundee RR) 30.00, 4 D Busby (Jog Scotland) 37.48, 5 G Carmoodie (Jog Scotland) 41.45, 6 S Ives (Jog Scotland) 44.55….8 G Matthews (Unatt.) 1st junior. 46.08.
Johnamill

Re: Nightmare #4 Results. Beat of Balbirnie.

Unread post by Johnamill »

Folks, I think I took a "Bridge too early" and should therefore really be DQ'd! I know I was behind the four who finished in 11th to 14th....but crossed the line in front of them! I wasn't sure who had went wrong...was it me....or them? I think I crossed the first bridge that we were not supposed to cross, that would explain it all, unless the other 4 took a longer route! Thought my new Garmin would have solved it with the mapped route....but looks like I had to enable it first...which I didn't, so no map! And I only got 3.44 miles as a distance...what did others get?
John Kay

Unread post by John Kay »

Thanks for organizing another good event, Chris. Published results appear slightly incorrect as Craig finished well ahead of me. My time is right. I think I managed to follow all the flour markers. Garmin gave 3.66 miles.

Cheers,

John.
John Keenlyside

Unread post by John Keenlyside »

I think Bill Simpson is a V60 so should be 1st rather than me.

John
Brian R Smith

Unread post by Brian R Smith »

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/273775723
My Garmin stats came up with 3.62 miles for the route and has the map for John Mill to check if he went wrong or not.

Cheers
Brian :thumbup:
Twiggy

Unread post by Twiggy »

Thanks for your honesty John Mill. I believe you may have lopped 0.2miles off the route by your error. I will serve a 60s penalty on your time. That's what I've placed on Ian McNulty's and Craig Love's times too as they did the same thing. Hence the confusion in the results.

As far as the first 3 were concerned....Craig lead virtually all the way round the first 1and a half laps, despite several navigational errors, as Ian and myself let him back in front whnever he went ofcourse. On the 2nd lap at the highest point on the course I made a move to get ahead and tried to get away down the long descent. At the bottom of the hill I must've been just out of sight of Craig and unfortunately he turned right and went across the bridge with Ian following. I ran the correct course and met them going along the north side of the burn in the wrong direction. They turned round and followed me and the course back to the finish. Ian finished 15s behind with Craig a bit dejected a further 53 s back. The error they made reduced their route by 0.2 miles. They realised this and said themselves that they should be disqualified. Because this is a series and is supposed to be a bit of fun I didn't want to DQ anybody. So I felt that a 60s penalty was fair to them and to everybody else. That now goes for John Mill too. That wil neatly drop him from 10th to 14th as he estimated. As far as I can tell the other people who got lost (who were all on the 2nd lap incidentally) cost themselves time and therefore don't get a penalty.

I hope that seems fair. Feel free to comment and to suggest some way of making sure the course is easier to follow.
I could have put more larger markings down and had tape up across the bridges etc but most people went the right way and nobody said there weren't sufficient markings just that they had missed them. And I don't want to vandalise appublic park too much with markings either. As I said beforehand I ran round marking the course in the dark without a torch to make sure they were visible. But then I do have vampire vision.

:o:
Twiggy

Unread post by Twiggy »

Oh and the asteroid passed by at 10.40pm. An hour later than Gillian had told you all. Her sources were wrong on that. It wasn't 50 miles across either thankfully but 50m. It passed a lot closer than expected and than any other asteroid on record at only 17000 miles away. That is half the distance that our satellites orbit at. If that asteroid (even though it was only the size of a swimming pool) had impacted on the Earth it would have been like a nuclear bomb going off. Thankfully it didn't.

As for that meteorite in Russia did you see that on the news yesterday? Amazing power from the sonic boom shockwave causing much damage and debris and injuring 700 people. And it didn't even make contact with land. Incredible and makes you feel a bit vulnerable.

Twiggy

Unread post by Twiggy »

Thanks to everybody for coming along and I hope you enjoyed the course whether you added your own diversions or not.

Thanks to Bob Thornton for providing the wee prizes again.

Thanks to Graham Bennison for putting up the results.

I'll get the points all done and updated later in the week.

Provisionally the next Nightmare will be on either the 6th, 7th or 8th of March with the last one on the 27th, 28th or 29th.

Dundeehawks ian

Unread post by Dundeehawks ian »

Hi Chris

Thanks again for organising a very challenging nightmare.if you hadn't been with us on the first lap god knows where Craig would've ended up :p: .you can only do so much as regards course marking and it defo wasn't a lack of markings that caused confusion.you can take wrong turns when racing even in daylight through wooded areas so racing by torchlight is certainly worse.looking forward to the next one.just make sure it's in a straight line or maybe we could tie a rope to you just so Craig doesn't get every turn wrong and you don't get too far ahead :D ...cheers for now
Johnamill

Unread post by Johnamill »

Thanks for all that Chris!

Re the last Nightmare, don't know if you are aware that Friday 29th is the first race in the Highland Boundary Series...which is the River Tay Dash near Dunkeld & Birnam....another "nightmare" type race! Two hill races follow that on the Saturday and Sunday!