Scottish Masters x/c Tony Gold V60

Results, news, views and updates...it's all here!
TonyM

Scottish Masters x/c Tony Gold V60

Unread post by TonyM »

Scottish Masters X/C Champs Kilmarnock 1st MV60
It was off to Kilmarnock today to take part in the Masters X/C Champs, we allowed plenty of time to get there, however there was big hold up on the way through Glasgow with a broken down car blocking one of the lanes, with some decent driving from Margaret we arrived around 5mins before the start, no chance of a warm up or pre-race nerves! The course was narrow, so the start was frantic at the front, but in the middle a lot of elbows were employed to great effect. The slow start suited me as the first mile was a short loop, overtaking was difficult due to the narrow track & very muddy conditions underfoot, we had the pleasure of squelching through freezing deep boggy ground in a couple of places. One of my team mates from the Scotland Vets team Francis Hurley was in my eyes favourite to win the title-and he showed his class coming back to me after I made a bid to overtake him just at the start of the first of the two 2mile loops, I held on to him, my legs were screaming for me to slow down-but feint heart & all that! I just kept pushing & gradually pulled him back, he’s a strong runner so you never know just when he’s going to kick hard. Around a mile from the finish Francis stumbled & ripped the sole off his shoe-this gave me the impetus to push up the hill and try to create a gap, it’s amazing how a quick adrenaline rush can give your legs a boost, a big effort brought up the finish & nearly the contents of my stomach! Completed the 8000m in 34 mins 51st/176 runners so I was very pleased with the result, but would have relished a big run in with Francis.
Thanks to my fan club for supporting me-Margaret & also Eddie Saunders who ran in the V65 race. :twisted:
Silent Assassin-you never know when he's going to sneak up & take you from behind!
Paul Roarty

Re: Scottish Masters x/c Tony Gold V60

Unread post by Paul Roarty »

Well done Tony and all the Fife team at the Masters xc today. An other MV60 Scottish Gold to add to your collection. :clap:
Graham Bennison

Re: Scottish Masters x/c Tony Gold V60

Unread post by Graham Bennison »

also at http://www.forfarroadrunners.co.uk/ provisional results